New Hampshire Metal Detecting Forum hunt banner

• February 25, 2018, 04:10:36 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

(((((((((( BEST LITTLE FORUM IN NEW ENGLAND ))))))))))

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Entry Metal Detector $150 +/-  (Read 178 times)

Jeepfreak81

Entry Metal Detector $150 +/-
« on: February 12, 2018, 12:56:52 PM »

Ok, so I think I'm going to be limited to about $150 to purchase a new metal detector at the end of the month.  As is such I've narrowed my search to a few choices.  I've decided I'd like to purchase new unless something amazing comes up at the time I'm ready to buy.  So I've come up with the following models and things I like about them and I'd like some feedback from the fine people here.

Garett Ace 200 @ $170
This seems like a solid model from a reputable company, I watched a video they made for it and like the screen and general setup of the unit.  I'm sort of leaning towards this one at current moment.

Fisher F11 @ $160
This is another model that looks pretty good but it's hard to find many reviews about it, especially US reviews.  I did catch a couple of videos and it seems like a good machine.

Minelab Go-Find 40 @ $150
At first I was really excited about this one because it collapses small and I could hike to places with it in my backpack.  Also I saw a Gary Drayton video showing it's wet sand performance which was impressive for the price.  Wet sand is not a primary concern of mine however.  Also, I've read that it feels more like a toy and may be prone to breaking easily.

Any others I should consider?  What are your thoughts on these models?  Remember I'm a beginner on a budget looking to just find some cool stuff.  I don't expect to get rich on pirate's gold or anything like that.  Finding old coins and relics of interest is my plan.
-Jason

creade

• 2016 Supporting Member
  • CTX 3030 newbie
Re: Entry Metal Detector $150 +/-
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2018, 05:57:58 PM »

If it was my money,I’d go for the ace. I think that’s the best detector of the 3 . If you could wait,maybe a month and get closer to 250, you probably could get a great used model of a better machine  :045: That would only be at the end of March, up your way the ground would probably still be frozen anyway   :016:
Can't find it if you don't dig it -HH 
Ctx 3030
Garrett carrot
Bunch of diggers

Bluetube1000

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2018, 07:46:42 PM »

I second that!! There's a nice Whites mxt in Laconia for $250. Would run circles around the Ace.
Excal Bluetube 1000 Pimped Out
Explorer SE PRO
Search Scan 650 Pi

NHBob

• OLDEST COIN 1629
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2018, 06:51:37 AM »

Save your money and get a better machine.
PROPER TARGET REMOVAL
http://youtu.be/emzElOIHn14

Badger NH

• Badger
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2018, 07:33:52 AM »

I agree with Bob. Those detectors are toys that people buy for little kids.

You're better off buying something used. With the new Minelab Equinox coming out this month a lot of people will be selling their now obsolete machines. There will be lots of great deals for people just getting into the hobby. You should be able to pick up a good high end detector for just a few hundred bucks.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 08:21:03 AM by Badger NH »
Minelab Equinox 800 (very soon),Teknetics T2 SE, DeepTech Vista Gold, Fisher CZ20, Garret Pro Pointer.

Detecting since 1996.

Seacoast NH

CTTodd

• 2018 Supporting Member
  • Dig Colonial or go Home
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2018, 07:49:12 AM »

I agree with Bob. Those detectors are toys that people buy for little kids. The Ace 250 is considered the beginner model for adults.

You're better off buying something used. With the new Minelab Equinox coming out this month a lot of people will be selling their now obsolete machines. There will be lots of great deals for people just getting into the hobby. You should be able to pick up a good high end detector for just a few hundred bucks.

Agreed
"when I go detecting I always have landowner permission"

www.cttodd.com

Rubka888

• 2018 Supporting Member
  • AT Pro
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2018, 09:23:55 AM »

I think we should talk. I have a Garrett AT Pro in great shape that I was looking to sell now for about $250. I think it is a great machine for the price. I might be able to get more for it but I would much rather see someone on the forum use it. Shoot me a PM if interested

Jeepfreak81

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2018, 12:21:25 PM »

Thanks for the insight everyone.  As is often the case when I explore new hobbies I start doing my research and asking around and find out I really should spend much more than I can afford. My wife only puts up with that so much  :011:

But I have always had an interest in detecting both for the fun, and for the history that can be uncovered sometimes.  I'm on a pretty low budget this time though with my wife going back to school and living only on my income with a family of 5.  But I might be able to swing a little bit more, also I've got a couple offers on the ACE 250 which I think would be a decent step up from the 200.  If in a years time I'm still really excited about the hobby maybe I can get into the $500 range at tax return time.

Of course at the same time I know how poor equipment can make a hobby frustrating and cause you to quit so I want to be careful of that as well.  Ugh, decisions decisions  :011:
-Jason

CTTodd

• 2018 Supporting Member
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2018, 03:30:58 PM »

take to AT Pro listed above
"when I go detecting I always have landowner permission"

www.cttodd.com

creade

• 2016 Supporting Member
  • CTX 3030 newbie
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2018, 03:48:52 PM »

I agree with todd. The at pro is a great deal at 250. No real need to upgrade.
Can't find it if you don't dig it -HH 
Ctx 3030
Garrett carrot
Bunch of diggers

Jeepfreak81

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2018, 12:29:25 PM »

PM sent to Rubka888, gonna see if I can wrangle up some more cash.  Decided it's too good a deal to pass up if I can manage it.
-Jason

RonNH

• Board Moderator
  • Tek T2SE, Teknetics Patriot, Garrett Pro Pointer
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2018, 05:23:08 PM »

PM sent to Rubka888, gonna see if I can wrangle up some more cash.  Decided it's too good a deal to pass up if I can manage it.

Good decision, Jason. The AT Pro is a mid-level detector and a lot of folks on the forum use it or have used it and can offer some advice, I hope you can swing some kind of deal. This way, you don't have to trade up in a year or so and if you decide detecting isn't your cup of tea, you can easily sell something like the AT Pro.
Find the cost of freedom... buried in the ground.

Jeepfreak81

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2018, 06:07:27 PM »

Well, planning to pick up the AT Pro on Saturday afternoon.  I'm pretty excited.  Now if this white stuff would melt and the ground would thaw I'd be all set.
-Jason

Badger NH

• Badger
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2018, 09:09:32 PM »

Good choice.

While waiting for the snow to melt, you can spend some time reading the manual, doing air tests and learning the different tones. There are also tons of AT Pro videos to watch and learn from.

Minelab Equinox 800 (very soon),Teknetics T2 SE, DeepTech Vista Gold, Fisher CZ20, Garret Pro Pointer.

Detecting since 1996.

Seacoast NH

Jeepfreak81

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2018, 12:11:34 PM »

I've actually already downloaded the manual and read through a good chunk of it  :011:  Will definitely check out some videos while I wait for the nicer weather.  And lots of air tests to learn the tones and how the detector reacts.  I'm super excited!
-Jason
Pages: [1]   Go Up