New Hampshire Metal Detecting Forum hunt banner

• October 22, 2017, 10:36:02 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

(((((((((( BEST LITTLE FORUM IN NEW ENGLAND ))))))))))

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Depth of coin vs. Years since dropped  (Read 336 times)

ElectronJohn

• White's VX3 and Bullseye II, Oldest coin 1929 cent
Depth of coin vs. Years since dropped
« on: July 10, 2017, 08:17:49 PM »

Is there a good rule of thumb for do deep a coin typically sinks in different kinds of soil over time?  Something like 1 inch per 10 years for the first 4 inches then 1/2 inch per ten years in a lawn.  I would imagine in rocky field the rocks would stop any coin from sinking very far.  Has anyone done any work in this area?
Thanks

Badger NH

• Badger
Re: Depth of coin vs. Years since dropped
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2017, 08:36:03 PM »

No rules whatsoever. Every coin has it's own situation. There are just too many variables.
Minelab Explorer SE, Teknetics T2 SE, DeepTech Vista Gold, Fisher CZ20, Garret Pro Pointer.

Detecting since 1996.

Seacoast NH

RonNH

• Board Moderator
  • Tek T2SE, Teknetics Patriot, Garrett Pro Pointer
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2017, 11:04:56 AM »

I'll echo Badger as I've found Mercs at 10" and KG coppers at 3-4". Some of it depends on how the site was used, the soil, how many ants or worms tunneled under the coin (yes, it's a fact), how the frost moves things up in different types of soil, etc. Besides sinking, I think some coins actually get covered up by years of mulch on a lawn whenever the lawn gets mowed. Look at stepping stones or a brick walkway that were set on a solid base, the lawn gets higher every year, maybe 1/16" - 1/8" but it all adds up.
Find the cost of freedom... buried in the ground.

ElectronJohn

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2017, 11:25:33 AM »

Well that is too bad.  I wonder how deep coins and metal artifacts sink on their own.  Most of our finds are in the top 12 inches but is that only because our detectors can't do much better than that?   

CTTodd

• 2017 Supporting Member
  • Dig Colonial or go Home
    • Dig Colonial or go Home
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2017, 07:40:15 AM »

With these damn worms working against us it's a wonder we find anything. I agree with the boys posts above . Your question about why we don't find coins after 12" is right it's just because the machine won't go there. I'm sure there are tons of things and coins deeper than that. We just can't hear them.
Thank god
"when I go detecting I always have landowner permission"

www.cttodd.com

ElectronJohn

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2017, 07:23:14 PM »

I guess if anyone ever detected a construction site that had the top foot of soil removed they would find out what was in the 12" to 24" depth. 

troyboy

• 2017 Supporting Member
  • Troy
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2017, 10:21:39 PM »

I've been amazed at the inconsistency of depths of finds. To give you a few examples: The mid 1700's coin I found last week was at 7". I did a winter hunt this past year with Badger in the woods and dug a 2003 dime at 11", that's enough to make you scream!  I've even dug a few mid 1800's coins at 2". I'm sure there is some logic to each location but you just never now. Great question ...
Minelab Explorer II - Coiltek 15" WOT
XP Deus
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Lesche Sampson 31″ T-Handle

Oldest U.S. Coin - 1798 DB LC
Oldest Silver - 1758 1 Reale
Oldest Coin - 1710 Louis XVI 6 Deniers

creade

• 2016 Supporting Member
  • CTX 3030 newbie
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2017, 04:41:21 AM »

Troy's right there. I hunt some places that get flooded and I've dug 1996 Lincoln's at 10 inches. Unfortunately ,those places I might be out of luck on older stuff. But it is random.
Can't find it if you don't dig it -HH 
Ctx 3030
Garrett carrot
Bunch of diggers

ElectronJohn

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2017, 05:56:25 PM »

I had a thought the other day about depth and pull tabs verse gold rings.  I have never found a gold ring but even though they appear the same as an aluminum pull tab to our detectors they are in fact much more dense.  That may play out when they settle.  I have noticed that the pull tabs I find are typically pretty shallow, 0-3 inches.  Is it reasonable to assume if you get a pull tab/gold ring signal that is 6-7 inches down that it is more likely to be a gold ring than a pull tab? 
I know we should dig all pull tab signals just to be safe, but sometimes when you are in a hurry it might be nice to know which pull tabs are more likely to be gold rings.
Can any of you weigh in on what the typical pull tab depths for you?  And if you have found gold rings how deep have they been?

graymatter

• ken
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2017, 10:00:22 AM »

from what i have encountered, it depends on how much the land has been worked since the drop. i have pulled out pull tabs bottle caps and aluminum cans at 6 to 8 inches deep in a farm field that has been worked. in the forest where the trees are 50 plus years old, the can slaw is not very deep. i have never found a gold ring. i try to take into consideration the age and use of the land that i am detecting.
i also throw all that i have learned out the window when i am detecting near a stream or riverbed. i have pulled soda cans and draft horse shoes at 12 plus inches.
good luck
garrett at pro
garrett pro pointer II
bug spray
sunscreen

RonNH

• Board Moderator
  • Tek T2SE, Teknetics Patriot, Garrett Pro Pointer
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2017, 05:26:41 PM »

At an old church, I got a heavy gold band that was in the grass plug and the 3-4 other bands at other sites weren't really that deep. But you're right, a pull tab signal that's deep could be a gold ring..or not. It depends on when it was dropped and the soil matrix - same rule as for coins and anything else. Nothing is set in stone, we are always surprised and that's half the fun of this hobby.
Find the cost of freedom... buried in the ground.
Pages: [1]   Go Up