New Hampshire Metal Detecting Forum hunt banner

• October 22, 2017, 10:35:55 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

(((((((((( BEST LITTLE FORUM IN NEW ENGLAND ))))))))))

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Thoughts on a "Pure Silver" custom setting  (Read 465 times)

davidshaw

Thoughts on a "Pure Silver" custom setting
« on: April 02, 2017, 09:38:51 AM »

Many hunts of mine wind up with me in a field, woods or a park and a half mile from my car. I'm either burnt out swinging and digging, or late for dinner. So I made myself a custom setting called Pure Silver, because at that point it's all I'm looking for. I discriminate everything except the Fe 1, 11-12-13 lines and the Co 44-50 lines, recover deep, low trash, and manual 28. My thought is, I wipe out all the chatter on the walk to the car, and anything that hits should be worth digging, including a 12-44 large cent. I've found plenty of clad quarters doing this, but actually not a lot of silver, as it's become more elusive in my area outside of Philly.
Just looking for general thoughts. Do you think with this setting I'm truly missing more silver than I'm finding? It does make for a shorter walk to the car.

CTTodd

• 2017 Supporting Member
  • Dig Colonial or go Home
    • Dig Colonial or go Home
Re: Thoughts on a "Pure Silver" custom setting
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2017, 11:08:00 AM »

Well.. I don't think you can narrow your accepted range that close to the TIDs of the targets that you want to dig.
That being said you already know that you're missing targets by using this program. If this is what gets you to the truck and home so that everyone in your life doesn't mind if you go again tomorrow then it's a gain of targets in the end.
"when I go detecting I always have landowner permission"

www.cttodd.com

troyboy

• 2017 Supporting Member
  • Troy
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2017, 11:23:51 AM »

David,

I don't have a CTX but rather an Explorer and a Deus. I can understand when time is short discriminating might seem to make sense. When we are at the beach in a new deep cut we ignore the high tones sometimes as the tide comes in to just dig the lower gold tones.

Digging in the dirt I generally 'don't' exclude anything but the really highs and lows. I think if you exclude all but your 12-45's for example, you'll miss Spanish silver and even a Trime.

I guess there's always different strategies but I'd hate to miss a gold ring or a Double Eagle heading back to the car  :011:

Minelab Explorer II - Coiltek 15" WOT
XP Deus
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Lesche Sampson 31″ T-Handle

Oldest U.S. Coin - 1798 DB LC
Oldest Silver - 1758 1 Reale
Oldest Coin - 1710 Louis XVI 6 Deniers

Mattockman

• Doug
  • 2017 Supporting Member
  • CTX3030,AT-Pro,Tek 8000
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2017, 02:14:41 PM »

A good semi tight Silver program might be a good idea, but when you use it at the right location it could reap better results. Thru the years of detecting I found more silver at old High Schools and old parks. Some of the elementary schools or junior highs where the old High Schools. Research is a big part of your success, not just your detector settings.  :028:
Detecting is such a RUSH!

Waynos

• Wayne
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2017, 05:42:47 AM »

I'm no expert but what worked great for me was just using the basic iron wrap around discrimination..I set the sounds to make nickel zones stand out more..I found using the least amount of discrimination gave me more accurate target ID and depth readings.
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett AT Propointer
Sampson T 31" shovel
Lesche hand digger
Pages: [1]   Go Up